What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are small, titanium posts that are embedded into the jawbone to provide a stable base for your replacement teeth to attach to. Custom crowns are created and attached to the implant to create a natural-looking and highly functional tooth. If you want to replace a gap in your smile, or you want a stable tooth that functions better while you eat, an implant is the way to go!
How does an implant compare to a bridge or a denture?
Can last 10-20 years if well taken care of.
Usually last between 5-8 years
Usually lasts between 8-10 years.
Are integrated with the jaw, so they feel more natural.
Have to be removed before eating.
You can eat with a bridge, but it is not as natural as an implant.
Implants mimic the tooth roots and jaw, therefore, there is no damage to the jaw or surrounding teeth.
Dentures can promote jawbone loss. They can also cause sores in the gums.
Bridges can promote local jawbone loss. When you place a bridge, the adjacent teeth are also shaved down, which damages them.
Excellent cosmetic and functional result.
Cosmetic result only. Dentures can be supported
Excellent cosmetic result. Decent functional result.
Types of Implants
- Single tooth implant: Single implants are used when the patient is only missing one tooth. It allows us to restore your smile without damaging the adjacent teeth.
- Multiple implants: Multiple implants are used when a patient is missing a few teeth. Several implants may be placed, restoring your smile and the function of your teeth.
- Implant-Supported Denture: For individuals who have no teeth, this may be the best option. Traditional dentures can rub against your gums and create sores. They are also removable. On the other hand, implant-supported dentures are supported by four or more implants. Therefore, they do not rest on the gums and are generally more tolerable and functional. You can eat with them, and they are only removed by your dentist for cleaning.
Why Choose Us?
- We can place the implant as well as the crown; many places can only do one or the other. At our practice, our patients can have the entire implant and restoration (placement of the crown) process done in one place.
- We are likely more affordable. In general, having your implant and restoration done with us allows us to give you prices that are more affordable than the piece-meal prices you get from going to different places.
- We offer financing options that fit within your budget to give you the smile you have always desired.
Meet Dr. Melba Akinwande
Dr. Melba Akinwande graduated from the University of Louisville School of Dentistry. During her time there, she was involved with several outreach programs, including an extended mission to Africa to treat the poor and less privileged. Following her graduation from dental school, Dr. Akinwande completed a General Practice Residency at the prestigious University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, where she performed more complex procedures and surgeries in an acute care setting. She has performed hundreds of hours of continuing education to enhance her skills to better serve her patients.
Dr. Akinwande’s clinical interests include implant dentistry, restorative dentistry, and cosmetic dentistry. She believes in restoring smiles and giving patients confidence in the most fundamental and social means of facial expression. Because of the breadth of her skill set, most dental procedures can be performed at Chesterfield Dentistry with only a few extreme cases referred out to specialists.
Melba and her husband, Goke, live in St. Louis West County. Her husband is currently a physician at Washington University School of Medicine/Barnes Jewish Hospital. They love to travel, do volunteer missions, and eat at local St. Louis restaurants. Their favorite activity is biking around Forest Park in the summer months.
A Five-Star Experience
“I’ve had some bad experiences with dentists in the past. However, from the first time I called in to schedule an appointment with Chesterfield Dentistry, the service and friendliness of everyone in the office has been outstanding. Dr. Akinwande has been fantastic. Just had an appointment for a root canal and crown earlier today and couldn’t believe how quick and painless it was.”
– Ben B.
“Easily the best dentist experience I’ve ever had. Everyone was super nice and welcoming. The office is clean, comfy, and fun. Going to the dentist isn’t always fun, but I enjoyed every second of my appointment! Will be returning!”
– Shelby I.
“I originally went to this office to discuss options to straighten my teeth. I received such thorough information and amazing treatment I knew I wanted this office to be my new “dental home.” Every appointment has been extremely stress-free. Dr. Akinwande is professional, kind and so incredibly friendly. EVERYONE in the office goes above and beyond to make you feel comfortable and like family. They genuinely care. I highly recommend this office for all your dental needs.”
– Nancy H.
“The Dr. and her staff are first rate. They are knowledgeable and friendly. They make going to the dentist an enjoyable experience. (As much as that is possible…)”
– Julie E.
“Bought a Groupon as I don’t live here and was desperate for a cleaning… Super friendly receptionist- I was a few minutes late but they were nice about it. Got me back right away, hygienist Kim (I think) was super efficient while being very gentle. I was in and out within an hr. All in all, a great team at Chesterfield Dentistry & would highly recommend as your family dentist!”
– Christy D.